April 1 kicks off registration season and coaches can start taking care of their USA Hockey coaching requirements for the up coming season. Below is a description of each requirement that must be met to maintain eligibility to coach with MHA and USA Hockey.
We appreciate all that you do for hockey and the players that you coach. It truly is not possible without you!
The following must be completed PRIOR to any team events.
Your Coaching Clinic account, SafeSport account, and Online Age-Specific Module account may all require a different log-in.
- Competition Coaches will need to sign a Coach's Contract with the Mustang Hockey Association.
- Register as a member of USA Hockey - Cost is $46 + affiliate (ASHA) fee, submit request for reimbursement to Heather, Office Manager. Must be completed prior to being on ice. https://membership.usahockey.com/
- Complete the required USA Hockey Safe Sport Training - Required every year. Coaches cannot be added to a roster or have contact with players until completed.
- Complete the required background screening - Completed through ASHA website. Screening is valid for two years. Coaches cannot be added to a roster or have contact with players until completed.
- Background screenings can be checked for compliance on ASHA's website under the Alaska Master Screening List
- Complete the appropriate USA Hockey CEP certification level clinic - Cost is $40, submit request for reimbursement to Heather, Office Manager. You can only attend one clinic per season.
- Levels 1-3 officially runs from May 1 to December 31. Sometimes only one session is offered. Currently sessions are virtual.
- CEP Level 3 certification is valid for 2 years and may be refreshed for an additional 2 year period a maximum of 2 times before needing Level 4 certificate.
- Level 4 usually occurs around Selects Camp or out of state.
- Level 5 requires attending symposium out of state. Must be completed by December 31 or coach will be red-lined from 1T.
- Complete the appropriate online age-specific module(s) for the age level of play you are coaching - Cost is $10 per module, submit request for reimbursement to Heather, Office Manager. Only needs to be completed once per age level. Must be completed PRIOR to tryouts and Coaches cannot be added to a roster until completed.
- Age-Specific modules do not expire, but are required for each specific age group you will be coaching with. e.g. If you plan on coaching more than one age level, you will need to complete modules for each one.
Those not meeting requirements will be relieved from duty for the remainder of the season and may cause State-bound teams to be ineligible.